Mr. Steven A. Davis, CEO of Bob Evans Farms, Inc. delivered the keynote address at the Bell Resource Center Awards Ceremony on April 2. The key lessons that I gained from his presentation were:
- Have a mentor inside your organization, in your industry, and outside your profession. Successful mentoring and advocacy is like having your own Board of Directors.
- Choose mentors who will tell it like it is and who tell you what you need to hear- not necessarily what you want to hear.
- Look at the trajectory of your role models and emulate them
- Become familiar with some of the “Heavy Hitters” in your community (e.g. Who’s Who in Black Columbus)
- Always remember that family comes first! It doesn’t have to be lonely at the top.
- Read “Purpose Driven Life” before graduating.
It’s always refreshing and invigorating to hear words of wisdom such as his. More fuel in the tank! Onward and upward.