Like many other leaders that I’ve encountered, affirmations are a part of my daily routine. Even my calendar provides me with a dose of positive energy every time I check the date. Here are the words of wisdom that blessed me throughout the year. I’m glad they were able to influence me in minor ways, but I hope that the lessons will sink in even deeper in the year to come.
- January (photo of chess pieces)-
Synergy: At the end of the game, pawns and kings go back into the same box.
- February (photo of wintery lake reflecting trees)-
Reflection: Reflect upon your blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.
- March (photo of small plant sprouting in dessert)-
Growth: Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.
- April (photo of boats on beach)-
Effort: If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.
- May (photo of climber suspended between two large vertical rock faces)-
Action: Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- June (photo of hot air balloons)-
Creativity: Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them.
- July (photo of cowboys among herd of mustangs)-
Courage: Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
- August (photo of dirt road through large green pasture at sunset)-
Journey: The only journey is the journey within.
-Rainer Maria Rilke
- September (photo of f rolls of hay dispersed in large hay field w/cloudy blue sky)
Experience: Pick up a grain a day and add to your heap. You will soon learn, by happy experience, the power of littles as applied to intellectual processes and gains.
-John S. Hart
- October (photo of flying white ducks- one with black head)
Confidence: The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.
- November (photo of foggy forest with thin tree trunks & orange foliage)
Optimism: Do not think of your fault; still less of others’ faults. Look for what is good and strong and try to imitate it. Your faults will drop off like dead leaves when their time comes.
- December (photo of snowcapped mountaintop at sunrise)
Greatness: If any man seeks for greatness, let him forget greatness and ask for truth, and he will find both.