I stumbled across a website called “Barking up the Wrong Tree” by recommendation of a colleague of mine. The site has a lot of very practical personal and professional development material. Here are some of the key takeways:
- Helping other people makes us happy
- Work in a profession that brings you joy and purpose, not just financial gain
- Givers end up at the top and bottom of the social ladder
- Interest preceding talent produces experts possibly more effectively than in reverse
- Technical skills without interpersonal skills will slow you down if not halt you advancement
- Make the best of all situations and circumstances- including bad jobs.
- Leaders are constantly busy and are hardworkers
- Leaders know how say no to things that are less important
- Focus on strengths
By being more outgoing, open to new ideas, following hunches, and being optimistic, lucky people create possibilities.
- Don’t give up when things get tough AKA grit.
- Use failure to succeed.
- Find mentors to help you discern truth from fiction
- Get out in nature
- Spend time with friends and family
- Express gratitude
- Get enough sleep
- Challenge yourself
- Touch someone
- Be optimistic